Neues "Stationsschild" am Haltepunkt Wilsdruff (09.06.2014)
Änderung Buchversand (09.06.2014)
Spendenaktion für den Personenwagen 235 K (22.02.2014)
Wilsdruffer Stadtfest - Schmalspurbahnmuseum geöffnet
31.08.2014 Öffnungstag Schmalspurbahnmuseum Wilsdruff
28.09.2014 Öffnungstag Schmalspurbahnmuseum Wilsdruff
Über 150 km Schmalspurstrecken in Mittelsachsen
Wilsdruff Historical Engine Shed
narrow gauge railway museum, trolley rides and more
on the grounds of the once second largest narrow gauge station
The city of Wilsdruff received its rail connection in 1886 by narrow-gauge railway from Freital-Potschappel. Initially there wery only a few sidings. The original station building had two floors, a single-storey extension and a small goods shed. The first engine shed was situated at the northern edge of the station and offered only space for two locomotives . After the extension of the railway to Nossen and substantially increased levels of traffic the station was literally bursting at the seams.
Nevertheless, a major expansion of facilities did not take place until the years 1908-09. The station building got a second floor, the goods shed was also extended. The new permanent engine shed with capacity for four engines was also built from scratch at its present location on the south side of the station. However, the boundaries were reached again after only a decade. In 1927 the engine shed was extended again on the west side by two additional engine spaces. The shed was expanded again prior to Wilsdruff becoming the status of a fully equipped engine depot in 1951 when a new hall and a new workshop were added. The station of Wilsdruff had reached its greatest extent at this time.
Following a significant traffic decline and the withdrawal of the line to Meissen in 1966 the station and depot of Wilsdruff gradually lost their importance. Finally, at 28 May 1972 the last passenger train to Freital left Wilsdruff.
Most of the railway tracks had been dismantled in 1973, while the engine shed was still in use as an overhaul facitity for reconditioning of cylinder heads for diesel locomotives. When the workshop closed its doors in 1996 another chapter of railway history was finished. At this time nobody kind of thought about continuing use of the area as a railway property. A farewell forever?
Finally in 2000, the city department of Wilsdruff bought the station area and all rail way properties belonging to the former routes on the city grounds with the long-term goal of further use. A few more years would pass before a draft plan had been developed by the city Wilsdruff jointly with local railway enthusiasts (IG Verkehrsgeschichte and VSSB ) for the future use of the station area. The concept included an exploitation of the reception building as an event and meeting center, the use of the engine shed as a railway museum and a trolley operation as a tourist attraction. The project was supported by funding from the European Union. The work on the redesign of the station began the end of 2006 with the partial demolition of the engine shed. In early 2007 coincided the start of construction for renovation and reconstruction of the engine shed and the station building. The construction of the new railway tracks began in spring 2009. Despite the short construction time available, the whole complex was ready just in time for the celebrations for the 750th anniversary of the founding of the city of Wilsdruff.
In our museum complex around the historic roundhouse Wilsdruff you can expect to see:
- Exhibition about the history of the former Wilsdruff narrow gauge network with a small collection of original artefacts and documents,
- possibility to visit the rebuilt engine shed containing a part of our historical carriage collection, the steam locomotive No. 132 IV K (on loan from museum railway Radebeul)
- narrow gauge trolley collection,
- model railway layout Polenz station (gauge H0e) after the prototype of a small section of the former railway Wilsdruff - Meißen,
- ability to co-and self-driving one of our trolleys on the track system of the museum railway station.
On all opening days, you can purchase the full range of currently available Wilsdruff railway books at our souvenir stand. Our volunteers will be happy to welcome you and to answer any questions about the history, present and future of the narrow gauge railways in the Wilsdruff area.
Next opening days
Nächste Öffnungstage des Schmalspurbahnmuseums: 23.08.2014-24.08.2014 , 31.08.2014 , 28.09.2014 , 03.10.2014 , 26.10.2014.
Further information about our openign days can be obtained using our event calender. Additionally, we will be happy to provide individual arrangements for tour groups on request.
Individual guided tours
Individual guided tours and draisine rides can be booked for any day in advance. Please do not hesitate to contact us.
Minimum fee: 75 € (for additional staff) or 3 €/person.
For small groups we recommend our regular opening days (see above).
Adults: 2,-€, Reduced: 1,-€
Our railway museum is situated at Freiberger Straße in Wilsdruff. This road is leading from the city centre of Wilsdruff towards Grumbach.
- motorway A4 to access Wilsdruff, afterwards follow directions to Wilsdruff city centre or Grumbach
- motorway A17 to access Zöllmen, federal road B 173 direction Freiberg to Grumbach, at Grumbach turn right for Wilsdruff
By public transport:
- regional bus nr. 333 (Dresden - Wilsdruff - Mohorn - Hetzdorf)
to Wilsdruff, alight either at Wilsdruff, Freiberger Straße (near railway station) or Wilsdruff, Markt (appox. 10 min. walk to railway station), daily
- regional bus nr. 424 (Dresden - Nossen)
to Wilsdruff, Markt (appox. 10 min. walk to railway station), daily
- regional bus nr. 348 Freital Deuben - Wilsdruff
to Wilsdruff, Freiberger Str., Saturday only!
IG Verkehrsgeschichte Wilsdruff e. V.
Freiberger Str. 50
Phone/Fax: +49 35242 47711